Friday, April 21, 2006

What was she thinking??

Tonight we went to "town" and went to eat at a local buffet type family establishment for dinner. Yeah, I know it's tacky and white-trailer-trashy to eat at these types of eateries, but it's fairly cheap and the kids like it; therefore it's a win/win for us.

Anyway, this post isn't about our lack of class as a family. It's about what people, women in general, wear in public. HOLY MOLY. Now, I am a big girl. ~ I don't know if you can tell that from my typing, do my letters look full figured she wonders staring at the computer screen? Does my blog look fat in this template? *gasp* In next months blogger monthly read about how to appear thinner in print, how to shed those excess new blogging pounds, and how put your blog on a diet!~

I digress, GEEZ stop distracting me, anyway, big girls. I admire a curvious woman who isn't afraid to show herself off a little. I tend to hide, but I did that even when I was thin, so I don't think my fat is the problem, I should have been born in the Pioneer Days when if you showed a little ankle you were considered risque`. What I DON'T admire is big girls who wear teeny tiny tank tops with boobies and flesh bouncing everywhere and then TIGHT blue jeans with her Just My Size underwear peeking out the back. EWWWWW. Get a full length mirror girlfriend. You give us self respecting womanly types a bad name. And don't you think that having that much extra flesh out and about in a buffet type setting is a little unsanitary?

There was some girls flouncing around in short, tight mini skirts and big tall wedge shoes, digging in the buffet and holding everybody up while they played with the jello- just the fact the buffet HAD jello is embarrassing to admit. Oh, did I mention they looked 6?! They could barely see up over the buffet counter. Does their Mother have them enrolled in the "Learn how to be a striper in 10 days or less" program at their elementary school I wonder? Gracious. I think it's so unnecessary and plain tacky to dress little girls up like they are getting ready for a raucous night of clubbing. I am glad i have boys. What scares me is in a few years my boys will be noticing little girls like that and getting strange ideas. OY.

Next there was some old people with walkers at the buffet. Okay, if you were having to use a walker, why oh why, would you go to a buffet? How are you supposed to hold your plate? These elderly people, who seemed to at least be appropriately dressed, THANK GOD, didn't appear to be with anyone ablebodied either. It was a train wreck. I should have got up to help them I suppose, that didn't occur to me until just now. What a bad citizen I am. Or maybe I hate old people, one or the other...

And one last thing about our night of fine dining. The place was PACKED so at least we were eating with a bunch of our closest white-trailer-trash friends. And it's in the middle of the dinner rush. And one of the brainiac employees decide to mop the floor. I am NOT kidding. We had old people toddling around, toddlers teetering on high heels, big girls bouncing to and fro, and me gimping around in my nun's habit, and a little man saying " Watch your step ladies, the floor is wet". What kind of a moron mops the floor in the middle of the dinner rush, I ask you? It didn't appear as if anyone had spilled anything either and he was moping the whole dining room floor. Maybe the restaurant got some fancy new accidental slip and fall insurance policy that they wanted to try out before the night was over?

After our dinner we went over to Barnes & Noble to reek havoc in yet another public place. I didn't see any scantily dressed babes there, sorry. I, for some reason unbeknownst to me, grabbed a pile of books about housekeeping and found myself a chair. I paged through happy homemaking journals while hubby took the kids to the little kids area of the bookstore where chaos reigns supreme. I read about how to clean windows, how to clean my kids room and organize it, how to serve a formal dinner with style and class, how to prepare my guest room for company, how to remove rust stains, and what to look for when buying produce. I left with a renewed sense of purpose and a promise, made silently to myself in the relative quiet of the bookstore, to come home and get busy, to be the wife and mother I know I am capable of being. I will make our house a HOME, dammit, and I will have sparkling windows to prove my womanliness.

We came home and I took a look around at the state of our pigsty and decided to blog instead. *sigh* Being this vigilant and having so many enlightened observations is just TOO tiring , to draining, to demanding, to be all Susie Homemakery and domestic. Maybe I'll write a book about THAT.

14 comments:

Some Random Girl said...

I always wonder WHY they mop the floor during the busiest times too! dumbasses!

Kristin said...

The worst in when they mop with a solution that contains bleach... then you can taste it in your food... ugh!

I live in the land of the over-exposed... one time, at the airport, the girl sitting across form me had on a skirt so very short that I was able to see her uterus... ick!

Pollyanna said...

Random Girl- So nice to know I am not the only one who has wondered that about mopping the floor in the midst of a full restraunt. Doesn't it seem counter productive? All those people walking on it with thier dirty shoes...I just do NOT get it.

Kristen-EWWWW. Bleach. And then the uterus girl. Goodness. WHERE do you live? Vegas? :) (hehehhe)

wopanese said...

mmm... the trough.

That's what we call it in our household. The nature of what people wear in public is worthy of a government study. It's amazing what some people think they look good in... I guess it's a bit like when people sing in their car - sounds okay to them so they think it's a good idea to sing karaoke and then think they're good at it.

Of course, I'm a musician and an elitist asshole, so I guess that's maybe just me...

Fear not - you are not alone in the "hating".. it's not hating, it's hoping they'll get a clue, is what I say...

Denise said...

I emailed you, but please don't email me back, because my hubby doesn't know aboutit. Keep my secret, and you can come comment anytime! Thanks.

Tori said...

I saw a "Oh my God - how could she wear that" gal in Old Navy. It was a moment when even I felt veritably skinny... (rare!)

She was all tank toppy, plungy, tattoed, butt cracky... pierced in all areas... fleshy...

I was unable to stop staring...

Peepshow said...

My youngest sister is embarassing to be seen with because she is always dressing in clothes that are three sizes too small for her. She tries to squeeze her size D boobs into a size B bra and somehow she doesn't seem to notice the two huge lumps of stretch-marked skin that are always popping out of her shirts. It's disgusting!

Peepshow said...

My youngest sister is embarassing to be seen with because she is always dressing in clothes that are three sizes too small for her. She tries to squeeze her size D boobs into a size B bra and somehow she doesn't seem to notice the two huge lumps of stretch-marked skin that are always popping out of her shirts. It's disgusting!

j.sterling said...

LMFAO! good lord woman.. i am lmfao at your first paragraph i haven't even read the rest yet!

Wes said...

What a cool and funny post! I don't know if they call larger women who try to fit into too tight jeans and where short T's the "muffin top" over there, but it sure fits in down here in Oz.
The buffet sounds like where I took my wife to on our first restaurant date. I'm a real catch aren't I!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Amen Sista!

Perstephone said...

LMAO at do my letters look full figured... too funny, Jodi!

Undercover Angel said...

LOL! I have a friend who is horizonatally challenged, and she loves to wear low waisted pants with short tops. I just don't have the heart to say anything to her - but you wouldn't catch me dressing like that...

As per the mopping - I'm surprised more people don't slip and more places don't get sued...

Loriann said...

I totally agree with you on this one. I can't stand any woman, big or small who feels the need to cover about only 10% of her skin in public. Go live a nudist colony!!! Also, it's so frustrating to go clothes shopping for my 12 year old who already is my height and no longer fits in the "girls" size clothes. We go to the junior dept but the styles are just rediculous. I wouldn't want my daughter to wear the stuff at 16 let alone at 12.