Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Unsavory characters

First thank you for your support for my whining. I am feeling MUCH better, thank you. I upped my medication to 100mg a day vs. my 50mg a day and I am noticing a HUGE difference. I was on the lowest dose and felt I was safe in upping it myself. I feel lots and lots better. I am happy to report Chad & the boys are on the way home and haven't died ...yet...WHEW. I ended up watching "The Devil wears Prada"...what a great girly movie. I really liked it, Meryl Strep is very good in this flick. Although, the whole designer clothes concept and the main character being considered fat because she was a size 6 totally eluded me. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! But, I liked the movie none the less. I give it a thumbs up, way way up.

And now, on to my subject for this post. Teacher strikes. My little town in California is having problems between the teachers and the district. I haven't really paid much attention to be quite frank. I know they are fighting because the teachers are the lowest paid in our area and the district says they are broke and can't afford raises. In theory I totally agree with the teachers. I know that the district is top heavy, the administers are making way way more than the teachers and they are not even in the trenches every day like the teachers are. I also believe that there is no more important job than a teacher and that they should be very well paid.

However, this afternoon while I was avoiding studying for my final I went to town to do a couple errands. Hollywood Video happens to be right next door to the district office for the school board. There were teachers, lots of teachers, out picketing in front of the office with little placards that read, "we want to put your children first". I turned in to Hollywood Video, returned my movie, and as I was leaving I made eye contact with one of the teachers, Connor's teacher, and I immediately got a pit in my stomach. And felt uncomfortable. It all seemed quite innocent and noble of THOSE teachers to be demanding better pay until I realized that one of my children's teachers felt that way. UGH. Does this mean I will be expected to take a stand now? Now that she KNOWS I KNOW. And, does this mean her heart is not in her job and she's just suffering through the days with my baby wishing she was making more money? This is rather unsavory, and I must admit I do not like it. What am I expected to do now? I don't even know. Maybe Bonnie, of socks and men, can tell me, she is up on this stuff. Me, not so much. *sigh* this is all rather complicated, and I am not a fan of complicated...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with the teachers when it comes to them being underpaid. But I'm a little confused as to why actually seeing your child's teacher would start to change your mind. I would think that this would drive the point home even more, how valuable their service they provide in caring for our children.

I don't think that parents are expected to officially take a stand one way or another in cases like this. I think the teachers know which parents do and don't support them on a daily basis - you sound like someone who the teachers already view as a supportive parent so it doesn't sound to me like you would have to make it an issue with them individually.

Anonymous said...

For some reason Beta is having a problem with me leaving comments, so for clarification purposes, this is Molly!

I think teachers are one of the most valuable asset to the country, they can make or break our children's future and they are definitely underpaid. But I think it would be really unprofessional of any one of them to expect a parent to take a side and I don't think that your child's teacher will do that.

Babaloo said...

Ooooh, that's a tough one. I'm definitely with the teachers on this one. I don't think you need to take a particular stand, but maybe just something if and when the opportunity presents itself and you feel strongly about it. On a lighter note, I loooooved the Prada movie too! The whole size 6 thing was supposed to be a joke, but sadly is the way a lot of people think. What can you do? Not watch funny movies? BTW...I love what you've done with the place!

Anonymous said...

Hey
As you already know I think all teachers are over worked and underpaid. Every District in Clifornia is top heavy. I think that custodians and food service workers at the schools make the same as the teachers, so sad.

I agree that you do alot to show the teachers you support them!!! Call me Candace

Wes said...

I think I'd be up there protesting with the teachers. It is a hard ask though. If you support them, there's nothing wrong with just letting them know, and then going about your regular business.

I really liked The Devil Wears Prada too!

Bonnie B said...

The teachers were offered a nearly 9 percent raise-- I'd kill for a 9 percent raise. Yes, they still odn't make as much as the teachers in Chico or Oroville, but then again teh tax base in both of those cities is MUCH larger than in little old Paradise. We simply don't have it. Our administrators make considerably less than Chico and Oroville too. I was totally with the teachers until they picketed in FRONT of the superintendent's house and started flooding my mailbox with nasty grams (political ads). The school district isn't much further up because some of their letters to the editor have been less than pleasant. My advice is the do nothing. Eventually one side will wear down. I wrote a column about this a few weeks ago and my daughter's teacher was none too pleased.

BTW I got an A in Spanish!!!!

karen! said...

Wow, I don't know. Good luck with that!
Our schools here in my little town in Texas are really good, but the teachers probably don't get paid enough either.

Some Random Girl said...

love your new page! Happy Holidays!

Pendullum said...

Merry Christmas Jodi...
Hope you have a great holiday season...
Looking forward to reading ALL about it in 2007!
Love,
Pendullum

Kristin said...

Don't tell my brother in law, my sister in law, or best girlfriend, but I am not so with the teachers... they work less than 9 months out of the year, receive better benefits than anyone I know, and have short workdays... I realize that they have an important job, but really, my brother in law makes about 60k a year ... it's not huge money, but for 6 months of job time, it's not bad!

yerdoingitwrong said...

Glad you're feeling better and I agree.....The Devil wears Prada is SUCH a great movie!!!

I wanted to thank you for such sweet and encouraging comments you left on my blog. I really appreciate it.

God Bless and Happy NY!

xo.

Ashley Lasbury said...

Merry Belated Christmas, My Dear. Thank you for your support and love over the past year. I am sorry that I do not comment more frequently. I have been trying to break my blog addication...but I still read. Thank you. Ashley

Suburban Turmoil said...

Well, I think the strike is her deal, not yours. I would just remain friendly to her, but what could you do, really? Although I agree, teachers definitely need to be paid more and administrators less. And superintendents FAR less!

CP said...

Teachers are the most underpaid, underappreciated people in the world...next to us nurses.

CP.

Pendullum said...

Happy Happy New Year to you Jodi...
Missing you out in blogland...