Friday, March 23, 2007

Tell me your secrets and I'll tell you no lies?

I have blogged about this before, people like to tell me their secrets. Why? I don't know. Is it my round face? Does it scream out that I am trustworthy and a good listener? Does being fat make people assume your life is so empty so that you will be interested to hear of their most private and sordid secrets? Is it that obvious I am very inquisitive and like to know how people tick? Do I just look like a sucker?

I work with a gentleman whom I assume is probably in his 50's, he has been married 35 years and looks to be about my father's age. He is a nice enough man, I'll call him Beanpole. He sits on the other side of my cubicle. We have exchanged pleasantries and he is usually quite pleasant. He gives me brownies and chocolate sometimes, so he must be a good guy, right? Well, today, I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business, answering the phone doing my job yada yada. He stands up and says, "Jodi, are you on a call? I want a woman's opinion on something." I said, okay, and put myself in "personal time" so that my phone wouldn't ring and I could talk to him for 5 seconds without getting interrupted.

"What's up, Beanpole?," I innocently ask as he takes a seat in the empty chair next to me.

Beanpole leans his lanky frame in close to me, lowers his voice to a barely audible whisper and points to his wedding ring. "You see this?", he asks me as I nod that yes, I see he is married or at least wearing a very large, very gold band that indicates he is a taken man. "I don't like wearing this, but I do it because I have been married for 35 years. My girlfriend also wears her ring, as she is married as well. We have been having an affair for 2 years. I am madly in love with my girlfriend. She won't leave her husband. Her kids are grown, but still live at home, she says she can't leave her husband because it will ruin their, the kids, life. Do you think that is true?"

I am not sure the look that must have crossed my face. One that may have given away my thoughts of WTF?? Do I look like a counselor? Have we ever said more than 2 words to each other? Why are you asking me THIS? However, being the ever helpful and nurturing coworker that I am and hoping to cut down on work place violence, I probed, I asked lots of questions. I surmised that Beanpole should probably think long and hard about his marriage and his mistress. Perhaps they all didn't have the healthiest relationship? (you think?) Perhaps he should rethink his relationships with both women. He claims he stays with his wife because when he leaves, as he moved out for 6 months, she starts striking out at people and being mean to people that have nothing to do with the situation. So he stays to protect the world at large I suppose. What a saint. What a martyr. My hero. **gag, gag***

"Wow, Beanpole", I remark, "You must be a busy guy! Being married, having a girlfriend, and you always work so many overtime hours", it is true he works a LOT of overtime.

"Well," he says lowering his voice now to a tone that would suggest we were sharing a intimate secret, "you don't know the half of it. This is incredibly confidential, mind you. I am also a deacon in my church, I teach Sunday school, I am an active member of the church."

I know at that point my face MUST have given me away. Not only is he a slime ball womanizer, he is a man of the cloth so to speak. "Really, and what would your church think if they found out that you have a mistress?" I ask barely containing my disdain.

"Oh, they would kill me," he says, with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders as if he had just told me he switched his car insurance to Gico.

"Um, well, Beanpole, it sounds to me like you have a LOT to think about. You have a lot to lose. Wow. It's no wonder you're so grouchy sometimes". When I said that a big boyish grin spread across his face, "You're so right!", he exclaimed, "THAT is why I get so cranky". After 13 minutes, he buzzed his way over to his side of the partition and said "Thanks, Jodi, I had a feeling that my girlfriend was really hung up on her role as a mother. And you confirmed it! Thanks".

Um, yeah, anytime you philandering hypocritical womanizer you! EWWWWWWWWWWW. Why oh why do people tell me this stuff, I ask you? WHY??? I am NOT a mental health professional nor do I play one on TV. Good Lawd people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you ever have a moment in your life when you stand back and go, WOW? I am experiencing such a moment in my life as we speak. Coincidence, I think not. I have a favorite local columnist who writes for our hometown paper. I have always LOVED her writing. I used to have a ton of her columns cut out and taped to my refrigerator. They have since yellowed and met a desperate and sad demise after they became soggy from leaping into the dog dish or met other cruel fates that can only happen in my crazy house. When I first started going to school and had high aspirations of becoming a famous novelist, such dreams have now been deserted in favor of a more realistic goal of working in the courthouse, I would tell anyone who would listen that I wanted to be a writer like Bonnie Sitter. She really was, is, my writing idol. I love her style of writing. It is honest, funny, and thought provoking.

Imagine, if you will, my surprise 2 semesters ago when guess who came strolling into my Admin. of Justice class? That's right. None other than Bonnie Sitter, I would recognize her anywhere, I looked at her picture for the last 8 years or so above her column every Saturday. I remember sitting there wondering if I should ask her if she was indeed Bonnie Sitter? Would she think I was a creepy stalker? I argued internally over making an ass out of myself in front of my literary idol. Finally my curiosity and my incredible friendliness won over. I spun around in my chair, "What's your name", I asked in my most non-threatening normal person voice. "Um, Bonnie," she replied quite meekly. "I thought so!", I exclaimed grinning like a idiot. "I love, love, love your column. You are the best writer, you really are." I gushed like a schoolgirl. "Thanks", Bonnie replied looking around the room as if to remember whom she could call to testify in her behalf later after I had attacked her in the parking lot demanding she tell me who was her muse, dammit!

Fast forward to the present day. Guess who I am going shopping with tomorrow? We are friends, Bonnie and I! True blue friends. I have been to her house, we've lunched and shopped before. However, when I really stop to think about it, the fact that I am actually friends with someone who I admired from behind my Saturday morning paper for literally years it completely blows my mind. How often does that happen? Really, in real life? Not very often in my estimation. And you know what, we really do have as much in common as I imagined that we would all those lonely Saturday mornings as I read her column nodding my head and yelling "Amen!" to the paper. It seems unreal when I stop to think about it, it really does.

10 comments:

Undercover Angel said...

Ewwww...I can't believe that guy told you that. What a total creep!!!

As for your friend Bonnie - that is so cool! Have a great day today, and a wonderful time shopping tomorrow! I love shopping...

yerdoingitwrong said...

Okay, girlfriend. I can SOOOOOO relate to the beanpole sitch. I get the same pleasure in life!!! People just dump all their personal crap on me and often I sit there in disbelief trying to digest what they're dishing!!! I've never figured out what it is either, but TMI people!!!! I'm not Dr. Phil.

That is so cool about you and Bonnie. Are you a Sex in the City fan? It kinda reminds me of befriending Carrie Bradshaw in real life. How cool would that be??? Have the best time ever and try on some shoes for moi!!! =)

Bonnie B said...

I know what you mean. i went shopping this weekend witht his incredibly funny friend of mine, who talked me into buying WAY TOO much stuff. But that is OK because I had SO MUCH FUN and just wish we could do it again sometime.
BTW I was reading that las tpost with my breath held, waiting for you to tell everyone some terrible truth about this Bonnie chick -- like she's secretly sleeping with Alfanso the pool guy and has two illegitamate kids and a fifth of scotch hidden under the bathroom sink. But it turned out that she was OK-- not that I'm let down or anything. No, I think it would be pretty cool to meet someone like that, really. But so often you characters in your blog are part of AS the World Turns so I thought maybe she'd have a bit part or something. (hahahaha)

Bonnie B said...

As the stomach turs-- did I write it correctly? I didn't write As the World Turns because that would be the wrong program.

Molly said...

What a horrid man you work with! He only shared all of this with you because he is feeling so guilty and knows what he is doing is wrong. And that whole, I'm just staying with my wife so she will be nice to others crap is just that - crap! In terribly English terms, what a wanker!

Pendullum said...

Well that guy just creeps meout...
But I looooooove the fact that you have met your idol... I am so very happy for you Jodi... Enjoy the bliss!!!

sweatpantsmom said...

Wow - what a creep that Beanpole is (I love the name you gave him, by the way.)

You handled it beautifully. I would have had to empty my coffee in his lap.

Kristin said...

I want to come shopping with you and Bonnie!!

And, ew... what. a. pig!

Anonymous said...

Jodi-
I have told you the reason people tell you unwanted info is because you are nice, show way to much interest in other peoples feelings and you give good advice. I would think after being my very best frind for this long, my anti-social bitchy ways would have rubbed off on you. Owell I guess the world needs people who are nice, I for one will not be one of them!!!
As for shopping with Bonnie it makes me jealous and I want you to remember I am your best friend anyone else takes 2nd place;)!
Also I too love Bonnie's writing I would love to meet her!
Luv ya Miss Ya hope you move ASAP!!! candace

wayabetty said...

OMG Jodi! That can be chalked up as TOO MUCH INFO, don't you think?! Imagine the skeletons in people's closet huh?! And man of the cloth too? Just plain disgusting! My philosophy is "what comes around, goes around!"

And what a small world regarding Bonnie, she's one of the bloggers that I read.