Sunday, September 24, 2006

I'm almost done with show and tell, promise!

Great Grandma and Boys





I am almost done with show and tell, promise. This is my Grandma with CrazyDruggieSister's two boys. They are 7&8 years old. Cute as little buttons. They have a sucky life as you can imagine. They are both with their Dad right now, T's ex, and he's NOT a nice guy. It's very sad. What makes me the saddest is that we had J, the oldest boy, when he was a baby for 4 months. I was pregnant with Trent at the time and begged T to let me adopt him. Of course she would have nothing to do with that idea. He is HER son and she would NEVER give up custody of any of her children, thankyouverymuch. He was the sweetest baby, SO sweet. He is a very angry and sad little boy now. T and her ex have completely ruined him, it's tragic. Thank the Good Lord that T had her tubes tied, finally. She is one of those people who should have never ever had children. Ever.

Now, on to my Grandma. She is my paternal Grandma. My Mom took care of my Grandpa, her abusive father-in-law, as he died, my Mom is one strong lady. My Mom & Dad are still living w/ my Grandma, and watching out for her as her health is failing fast. She is 88. I have literally lived about one mile from her my whole life. I have a love/hate relationship with her. She can be so mean, biting, and dowright cruel. And she has an eating disorder, I am not kidding. She is anorexic. Very odd, who knew old people could have body issues? But, she does, trust me. You can imagine how she feels about me and my full figure. Yet, I love her fiercely. I cannot fathom how much it will hurt when she passes away. She is part of the fabric of who I am.

This summer my Mom and my Grandma took care of the boys when I went to work. My Grandma had a ball watching cartoons with the boys, fixing them snacks, and begging my Mom to take them all out for ice cream. She would sulk like a petulant child if my Mom said no to the ice cream or the cartoons more than the boys did. It was great summer for all four of them. My Grandma also bought the boys backpacks and school supplies at the beginning of the school year. This was a HUGE deal because she is known for her tightfistedness. It makes me very happy that my boys get to have such a different relationship with her than I ever did as a child.

She is like a different person since my Grandpa passed away. Every day since he's died she gets prettier and prettier and laughs more. It's so interesting and heart crushingly sad to watch. How much different would her life had been if she had married a kind man who didn't communicate with angry fists and even crueler words? Grandpa was NOT a nice guy. This POST was about him. Life is funny. My Grandma has a eating disorder and was in an abusive marriage for 50+ years. I have managed to escape her legacy yet it has still effected my life in so very many ways. The sins of the father just go on and on it seems. As does mental illness. The whole thing makes me rather tired, that much I know for sure.

6 comments:

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I like it don't be done with it.:)

Denise said...

You know, in a physically abusive relationship, you know it's abuse. But in a mentally abusive relationship, you wonder if that's just they way things are.
I wonder that sometimes.

Babaloo said...

That must be so heartbreaking to see those boys hurting in such a way, especially loving the one as you did when he was a baby.

Major props to you for breaking the family cycle!

Anonymous said...

Family history does not have to define who we are. You get to walk your own path.

Pendullum said...

So very sad...
The boys now have faces... an oddly I can not see the faceof the druggie mom...The scan is too small and yet she looms with her destructive behavior that has ruined the innocense of two boys...

And I can not imagine what your mother endured growing up with such a father...

Is she free of her father's demons?

And your grandmother...50 years of not thinking that life could be better...
Oh Jodi, it is amazing how tall you stand... So proud of you and all that you stand for...
Brave, strong, woman...

Bonnie B said...

50 years-- why ?????? That is completely nuts.

You my dear are amazing. You are so strong and smart-- and still funny with all this going on