Saturday, October 21, 2006

Calling all Mothers


I need some advise from mamma's (or Daddies). Please. Trent is sick. He's been sick for over a week now. I don't know if I should be freaking out or not. He was sick a few weeks ago with a nasty ear infection. I took him to his pediatrician and he got some ear drops and his ear is doing better. Poor Trent has had ear infections his whole life. I took him back to the doctor on October 11 for his 8-year well child check. {yes, he turned 8 in March, I'm a little behind. What can I say? Yeah, I know I won't be getting my Mother-of-the-year-award this year. Damn, and I was this close to getting it too! } His ear was looking better and he got his chicken pox booster and the flu mist vaccine. Oh yeah, and he was slightly anemic as well when they checked his hemoglobin. Not even anemic really, just on low side of the iron scale. Everything was good. Chad & I went away for our anniversary, all was fine, we had fun, the kids had fun everything was good. Then on this last Monday the school called me because Trent was throwing up. He threw up all Monday. He stopped throwing up. He stayed home from school on Tuesday. On Wed I stayed home with him and he threw up again. Thursday he was fine, my Mom stayed with him and was driving her crazy. In her words, "he was quite obnoxious". In my mind an obnoxious kid is a well kid. So, he went to school yesterday. He went to the after school program with my Mom, she is one of the staff there, and was fine. She said he looked a little pale by the end of the day. We went out to dinner last night, he wanted some shrimp, and he was REALLY tired, almost falling asleep at dinner. We came home and he went straight to bed. I awoke this morning at 3Am to the sound of him puking his guts out.

So, I am at war with myself. Chad thinks he's fine and just over did it yesterday. I don't know if he has e-coli or something horrible. Isn't a week a long time to have the flu for a normally active kid? He said that yesterday at school his knees were shaking from walking from his classroom to the playground. This is a kid who is normally at a dead run. How do I know if he's just got a really bad case of the flu, which I find ironic since he got the flu mist, or something horrible? Somebody give me some advise, please. I do NOT want to be one of those freaking out about every little sniffle kind of Mom's. However, I don't want to let my child die from e-coli because I am too stupid to know he needs to go to the Doctor. *sigh* He has NOT had a fever. Just diarrhea, vomiting, and extreme lethargy. Help me please, don't let me down now my blogging peeps.

And, I have another problem that I need advice with, but it's not pressing so I'll blog about that later. Later blogging peeps~~peace out.

5 comments:

j.sterling said...

doctor's appointment NOW. you are not a doctor, that's why you take him to one. that's too often for him to be puking like that. maybe the low iron is affecting him and maybe it's something else lacking in his body that is an easy fix. i would DEFINITELY get him to a doc asap

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Can't hurt to take him to the doc. I second Jennster. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Take him to the doctor.

Bonnie B said...

Take him to the doctor. But I have to say some stomach flus can last a while-- and some viruses are just plain nasty. Abby and Nikki once got a stomache bug that lasted for two weeks. The shakey knees are probably caused from a low blood sugar. Is he getting enough fluid? When Maggie gets sick, she'll be wild during the day and then spike a fever at night and start horking.
Maggie and Nikki were sick this weekend with this bug they made them sleep for like 10 hours straight (during the day-- when there was playing to be done). But take him in if you are worried-- because you are the only one who can see him and only a mother knows when her kid is sick.

Good luck and I hope he gets better soon. There is some yucky crud going around.

Pendullum said...

Take him to the doctor...
That's a pretty long time to be ill adult or child...
I hope he is his great obnoxious self again real soon so we can all breath a sigh of relief...
Please post soon so we know he is okay...
Thinking of you and your family...