Monday, October 09, 2006

Inquiring minds want to know




To appease the masses, okay one of you, who are asking me about the autism conference with Candace...it was GREAT. We were only gone one night but it was fantabulaous. The conference was very informative and had a lot of good tips for parenting in general. I haven't talked about it much on my blog, but both my boys have Aspberger's Syndrome, which is VERY high functioning form of autism. They are both in mainstream classes at school and are doing wonderfully. However, we have some behavior type issues at home so I was very anxious to attend the conference. It was well worth sitting in class for all of Saturday. I really did learn a lot.

And, we got to stay in very nice hotel. The one mild irritant? We had to share. Yeah, with a total stranger, a pot-smoking-hippe-four felon holding-ex con, Spring Rain, or whatever her name was. A little explanation? Yes, I would imagine that would be in order. Candace works for her county's children services program. They paid for her to attend the conference and for her room. I was allowed to stay in the room with her, and, no I'm not the ex felon silly. But we also had to share with another young lady, that would be your felon, from a different county's program . To say she was interesting is an understatement. She told us the abridged version of her life within five minutes of meeting her. I mostly kept just saying, "oh my, wow, hmmmm, that's sooommmeeethiinnngg..." Candace blamed me, she said that I have one of those faces that begs for people to tell me their war stories. HMPH. I was offended until I realized she was right. Everybody and their uncle twice removed wants to tell me their life story. *sigh* It's a burden I must bare I suppose.

Anyhoo, I ALMOST slept with my wallet under my pillow at the hotel until I remembered that I didn't have any money and her credit is probably better than my own. Last week I couldn't find my driver's license and thought Meadow Lark ,or whatever in the hell her name was, had stolen it. And then 2 seconds later I found the stray driver's license in my change purse and realized I may have gotten overexcited, just a tad. And, NO, I am not known for being overexcited, thankyouverymuch.

Did I mention we went out to eat at grown up eatiries with no placemats or crayons, sans kids and husbands, and I got to drink a few little cocktails? Yummy. It was grand. I may or may not have been a wee bit hung over on Saturday and Sunday morning both. *ahem* But, you did NOT hear that from me. And NO the county did NOT pay for my cocktails. The cheapskates. If anybody needs cocktails it would be a parent of 2 wild and crazy boys. :) Actually, I was very happy and grateful that they allowed me to bunk with Candace and smokes-a-lot-Suzy.

Since Candace lives in the town of tumbleweeds and cows we also went shopping while we, well mostly her 'cuz I already live where you can buy clothes that are not made from gunny sacks, were in civilization. Our shopping time constituted me following Candace around and making smart ass comments about the clothes she tried on. That is just the kind of friend I am people! It was mucho granda fun. I bought myself an old lady nightgown and was happy as can be. It doesn't take much to make me happy, that's for sure. Candace did end up getting some really cute new duds. She'll be the talk of the town I am sure, all 25 of 'em. (hehehehe, luv ya, Candace!)

Chad took the boys and Candace's son, B, to the monster truck races while we were gone. Yes, I missed the monster track rally, I can barely contain my grief. All had a great time. Candace's husband and daughter, A, also stayed here with Chad and the boys and they had fun too I hear. It was a great weekend!

To the throngs of my blogging peeps who want to know if we ever went camping, okay the one person who asked, no we did not. However, Chad did get all the camping gear out of hawk. So, we have everything we need. Maybe early this spring we can go camping, we are hoping. We are going to go up and stay with Candace & family over Thanksgiving however. We are really looking forward to that! We will not camp up there, unless it's on her living room floor, because we would freeze our tookas's off.

Chad and I are going away this weekend for our 15th wedding anniversary. We are flat broke but are going to go anyway. I plan on drinking heavily and acting quite irresponsibly. Alert the media.

And with that I am off to bed. 5:30 AM comes VERY very very early.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Hooray for anniversary's and going out of town! Have a great time and I want to hear about the irresponsible behaviour when you return!

Anonymous said...

I love it when I am in your blog it makes me feel famous!!!
candace

lortones said...

Happy Anniversary to you!!! Have a great time and enjoy yourself...Lorelei