Saturday, May 05, 2007

What does this mean?

I have returned from my experience participating in the Court Clerk 1 test seemingly unscathed. *whew* How did you think you did oh panicky one, you may ask innocently enough. To that I reply, I have no freaking idea. It was a fairly typical test asking questions about alphabetizing, putting items in a numerical order, proofreading, vocabulary, and simple math. I either did quite well or so-so. I really don't know. It was a computerized test and offers you no feedback one way or the other. I may or may not have turned in a blank test, more on that later possibly.

As I was leaving I spoke with the office manager type lady and asked when they would be holding interviews and when I could expect to hear back from them. She answered me and then gave me a job flyer for a new job that is closing on May 21st, in case I don't get the job I just tested for. It is basically a position where you look at court documents all day, not the people, and keep the court documents straight. A records clerk basically. BOOORRRRRRRRIIINNNNNGGGG. I wasn't sure how to take her offer of another job posting. Does she think I would suck at being a court clerk, does she think I am best served kept hidden from public view, or was she just trying to be polite and helpful? Again, I have no freaking idea. I will know in two weeks one way or the other how I did on the test and whether I will be granted an interview or not. If I don't get this job, and I will cry and piss and moan if I don't, I will apply for the other job and then be prepared to be bored out of my ever freaking mind. However, it could be a good stepping stone for a more interesting position in the future and the pay would be as good as the job I want. *sigh* So now I wait. And pretend to be content in the job I have now.

Chad's surgery went well. Time will tell whether or not it's a success or not. He was able to go with me yesterday. He went out to the college and spoke with the Dean whom he has a formal appointment with in a few weeks. He most definitely has the job. It's going to be interesting. More on that later...

We went and looked at rentals yesterday. Holy Moly. There are lots of crappy places for rent. I may or may not have PTSD from some of the places that we looked at. Bad, bad, bad I tell you. Dirty old 1970's mobile homes with the gross brown carpet, the cheap plastic doorknobs, and moldy windows, all for $850/month. Scary horror movies on a limited budget have been filmed in such places, I am quite certain. I told Chad I didn't care how poor we are, I will not live somewhere like that. Oh, it was awful! Just thinking about it gives me the hippy hippy shakes and not in a good way. We found a few houses that were very livable and in the school district I want the boys to attend. The rent is EXACTLY what our house payment here is. That was encouraging, I guess, unless we have to make both payments then we're going to be in big time trouble. If everything goes our way we will moving in 30 days. That is scary as hell, let me tell you. And then we're going to need moving money which is even scarier. *sigh*

However, my Dad came and visited us this morning, at 7:30 AM, on a Saturday, I may add. He offered to make our house payment for 6 months until we see what will happen with my Grandma. And then collectively we can decide if we want to put the house on the market. That is VERY generous of him. Of course that means we are going to be indebted to him for the rest of our natural lives, but we are already, so what would the difference be? I am humbled and thoroughly touched with his generosity. Will I rue the day we made a binding deal with my Dad? Maybe. Do I have any other viable options at this point? Not really. Could this be an opportunity of a lifetime? Perhaps. There is only one way to find out and that's to take a deep breath and take the plunge, sort of like getting married. You have a 50/50 chance of being either incredibly blessed or very miserable and desperately unhappy. No way of knowing ahead of time which it will be. That my friends is called a big-time, life altering gamble.

I have a interesting sordid tale to regal you with regarding a blasted woman in my Criminal Law class but that will have to wait until next time...I have some floor pacing and finger nail chewing that I need to attend to right now. Ta-ta.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Ooh, I want to hear all of these sordid tales!!!

I think the woman at the test was trying to be helpful, they do that with the state and county, pass on other job offers so don't take it personal. I hope you aced the test, I just want everything to fall into place for you. Your dads offer was a generous one and it will help you out in the interim if you need it. It all sounds like a postively exciting adventure to me!

yerdoingitwrong said...

Oh I have so many things to say (as usual...hehe) where do I begin???

VERY COOL of your pa!! I say take him up on it. And it is a big gamble and a plunge, but we only live once girl. This could be the beginning of very cool things coming your way. **have you noticed yet that I am a big talker? =) I love to cheer others on at stuff like this, but I am a first class weenie and creature of habit.**

I'll bet that lady was just being helpful, too. Especially if she knows you guys are moving there and needing jobs in the area. But, that alternate job sounds like a snoozefest. You'll get the one you want. I'll bet that you aced that test!!! In fact I have an espresso martini riding on it. =P

SO GLAD that Chad's doing well and must hear sordid tale SOON.

Hang in there, sugar and much love from your fellow nail biter and floor pacer.

Keep us posted of course!