Sunday, July 23, 2006

Call me a school supply junkie

I was reading this today and it got me thinking I may have a problem. You see, dear blogging peeps, I think I am addicted to school supply shopping. Oh you may scoff, and dismiss my problem. Let me supply supporting evidence of my said addiction ~pun intended. I literally get a little rush when I realize it's time for back-to-school-shopping. My heart races a bit when I see glue for 20 cents, a package of pencils for 25 cents, Crayons 5/$1.00!! It is love at first site. I count my pennies and see how many Crayons I can afford, how many packages of erasers our budget can bear. I get sick enjoyment out of leaving Target with three bags over flowing with school supplies. But, do I stop there? Oh no. I need to feed my addiction more, just like a true school supply shopping junkie that I am. I start pouring over the ads for the other box stores trying to find my fix in another location where I haven't been yet so I can score some more Bic pens and notebooks 10/$1.00.

This year my addiction is being fed by the fact I have two kids entering the public school system this fall. That means I need to buy twice as much! The joy/the sorrow, the stalking of that many more stores for the goods . I always try and buy a lot of the cheap stuff so that I can donate to the kids classroom for kids whose parents either don't have my affliction or the inclination to stock up on rulers when they are 10 cents apiece, Good God they are practically giving them away at that price! I am providing a public service. Thank Goodness these cheap school supplies are only available once a year for a short window of time, usually about a month, or I would drive us even further into the poor house.

This year my problem is being hindered by the lack of funds to feed my addiction. I have only been able to spend $10 so far on my habit and it is hurting me, causing me great pain. I am still pouring over the ads but I have no moola to back up my desire. I have wondered what I could pawn, sell, or trade for some school supplies. This is how broke we are.

Exhibit A. I actually had to put school clothes for my kids on layaway at, oh I can't say it, at K...mar.......tttttt. UGH, that hurt. And when I laid my money on the counter for my downpayment it was all in ones. The pain. The helpful *cough* employee and I had a little mental telepathy going on while he was ringing up my transaction.

K employee: As he eyeballs my selections stacked on the counter three feet high. Um, you are a loser, lady! Who buys their kids school clothes at Kmart? On layaway no less.

Me: SHUT UP stupid Kmart guy. I know it's pathetic, but I at least want my kids to have something new to wear to school....

KE: Yeah, whatever lady. It looks like you did a good job of picking out stuff that doesn't look toooo cheap.

Me: SHUT UP. UMMM, I mean thanks. Yeah. This Basic Editions t-shirt that was probably made by a 3-year-old in a sweat shop looks pretty good.

KE: You are paying for your downpayment with ones??!?!?! Don't you have a checking account? Are you a striper or something? Geez, LOSER.

Me: SHUT UP. And yeah, I am a stripper. At a fetish bar for guys who are chubby chasers. That's why I am buying my kids school clothes on layaway at KMart.

KE: {Out loud this time} Thanks for shopping at KMart today. Here's your receipt. Be sure you make another payment (in something besides ones) by the 28th.

Me: SHUT UP. STOP JUDGING ME STUPID KMART GUY. ERRRR, I mean thanks...and I slink away hanging my head in shame. It was only after I walked away that I wondered if could have put some of those cheaper than dirt school supplies on layaway too????!?!?!

14 comments:

but Momma said...

You can link me Anytime! :)
I was just wondering if they still do layaway at stores, because truthfully I think it's WAY smarter than the (hushed whisper)*credit card*. I noticed one of the shirts I bought today was from Guatamala, softest shirt I ever put my hands on. Hope it's not a sweatshop.....

Some Random Girl said...

maybe the universe is trying to tell you something. I see nothing wrong with buying clothes from KMart. Nothing atall! I buy shit where I can find it for cheap. with how fast they grow? are you kidding? I don't dare shop anywhere super expensive!

Cristina said...

OMG, my side is hurting, I am laughing so hard. I didn't known that Kmart HAD layaway, but now that I know, I'm totally getting all my kid's school clothes there.

*hold on: making mental note for 4 years from now*

Anways, that whole stripper thing was a joke right? Right? :)

And about the school supply addiction, I TOTALLY get it. Totally. I drool over those ads and I don't even have a kid in school yet.

Wes said...

Man, sounds like you're judging yourself rather than him judging you. Let it go, Dudette! K-Mart and Target are both great places to shop, and if your kids are anything like mine, they go through their school clothes so quick who'd wanna spend up big on them! You're one sensible momma, not a cheapskate.

I love school supplies. I have my own stupid fetish where I buy 10's of exercise books because they're just so handy... for what, I haven't quite figured that out yet! LOL

Babaloo said...

School supply addiction? That’s funny! I, too, like going into Target/Walmart/Whatevermart when school supplies are on sale, but only to see the shock and dismay on my kids’ faces when they see the big “BACK TO SCHOOL” sign that blinds them as they walk into the store. Is getting a kick out of that wrong?

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I never had that problem. Lots of other addictions. Funny!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I never had that problem. Lots of other addictions. Funny!

karen! said...

Oooh, I love school supplies. I am drawn to the isles with all the stuff, wondering what I might want. We pre-ordered and paid for a school supply pack from the school, so we don't need to buy anything additional, but I still want to. I bought my daughter those neat-o twistable markers, and she loves them.

Pendullum said...

I could not stop laughing Jodi...
A school supply addiction... I can see the group meetings now...
Hi, Hi... My name iiiisss Jodi and I have a prrooooblem...
I am a school supply junkie...

Could not stop envisioning how School Supply Addicts Annonymous would meet and discuss group strategies on dealing with your problem...

Loriann said...

A girl after my own heart!!! I love school shopping, especially for the 10 cent notebooks. I think I still have some left over from like two years ago but I will definitely be buying plenty more when I see them. My kids hate me these days because when my youngest has her birthday party in the summer (she's a July baby) I give goodie bags filled with school supplies!!!! Yeah! More reason so buy oodles of school supplies.

Don't worry about Kmart either, I actually like the stuff there too. And target, and yes, even Walmart. Why spend a lot of money on clothes they're only going to grow out of or destroy before they even get the chance.

Bonnie B said...

Oh I love this time of year too. I stock up on art supplies for the entire year and buy stocking stuffers too. Love it!!!!!

I buy a lot of my girls clothes at K Mart because I basically have three heathens to whom dirt is attracted. If they are going to ruin clothes at least let it be cheap ones!

Kristin said...

I love school supplies... I remember getting a new pencil box and filling it with all my new crayons and erasers... heaven!

shpprgrl said...

You described me to a T! I have a problem too. BUT I'm working on it. I told my daughter we would go through our box of supplies, before we shop this year. Yes I did!

Reason: I still have 30 boxes of crayons that I bought last year for .10!!

Peepshow said...

I was just reading over some of your old posts and this one cracked me up! I wish you would come and do some school supply shopping FOR me. I HATE school supply shopping because I hate fighting the people and carts in the aisles! :)