Sunday, May 28, 2006

Warning: Philosophical post ahead

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I woke up this morning feeling quite philosophical. Trust me, this doesn't happen often. Maybe it's because I am starting this new job next Monday {YES, I got the job!} and it makes me recall all my past jobs and how said careers have affected my life, my psyche, my friendships, the very essence that is indeed Jodi of Jodi's world. Some of the best friends I have made have been at work. Hmmmm, what kind of new friendships are awaiting me on the horizon?? Or plain old psychos which I seem to attract just by breathing, but that's neither here nor there.

Even deeper than thoughts of friendships is this little quandary. I was born and raised in Montana, not as glam or rustic as one would hope, and moved with my family to Cali when I was 19 and have been in the same town since. However, right before we moved to the Promised Land I had second thoughts about moving. I wanted to stay in my birth place. My Mom did her best Jewish Mother guilt trip on me {despite the fact we're not Jewish} and I moved in spite of not wanting to leave my life and friends behind. What if I would have stayed in Montana?? How much different would my life look? I would have never met my friend, Esther, who has provided me with not only a plethora of laughs but was also my Maid of Honor when I got married 15 years ago, but also threw wonderfully awesome baby showers for both my boys. Nanci, who took our wedding pictures was a friend I met at work. If I hadn't moved here who would have taken our wedding pictures? I met John, the minister who married us, and Colleen, his wife who did my wedding flowers, in Cali. If I had stayed in MT who would have married us and did my flowers? All our wedding presents would be different and some of those wedding presents I still use every day. In case you are wondering, I have no doubt I would still be married to my hubby 'cuz I met him in MT and he followed me to Cali. Poor sucker. He doesn't let me forget it when it's 110 degrees either.

Would my children have been conceived on the night that they were here in Cali? Would I even have my children had I been under the big sky's of MT? Then there is the matter of one of my very best friends, Candace. Had I been in MT I would have never met her or her kids. Her family has became so intertwined with my own that I cannot imagine life without her. And another of my best friends, MaryJane who is absent from the blogging world right now--what's up with THAT?---is still in MT. We have maintained a long distance friendship for the last 20 some odd years. Could we have remained friends had we been next door neighbors? I would like to think so, but you just never know. AND then there is the matter of blogging. Had I never moved to Cali I would have never met Some Random Girl who introduced me to the fine world of blogging! Who would I be rambling too if it wasn't to my blogging buddies?

See, what I mean, isn't it kinda creepy when you think of how one decision can totally cause a ripple effect? I guess this is what movies like the "butterfly effect" are all about. One little move can change your whole life, for better or worse. What would you be reading right now if you weren't reading THIS post??? You may be wishing you weren't even reading this post RIGHT now, but I can't do anything about that, now can I?

I got up this morning feeling all deep and contemplative on my life and was telling Chad, hubby, all about my thoughts. He was like, hmmm, you're odd, and not in a quirky cute kind of way, more in a you're insane kind of way. Thanks honey, I think I would be this weirdo no matter where we lived, but thanks. He's a mechanic and a damn good one at that, he started wondering out loud how much different our lives would be if he wasn't a mechanic. I said I wished he was a chiropractor. He asked why and I replied, "cuz my back hurts this morning and if you were a chiropractor my back wouldn't hurt". Yeah, I'm deep and philosophical like that.

How about you, do you ever think about where you would be if you had zigged instead of sagged??? I mean zagged....But I guess sagged would work too. :)

16 comments:

Undercover Angel said...

I often wonder how different things might have been if I had of followed other paths in my life. I always know that I took the right path though, because my children are so wonderful. I often wonder if I had of conceived them at different times that what I did, if they would have still been the same people...

Congratulations again on the new job! I'll be thinking about you on Monday...

Cristina said...

This is really interesting to think about. I kinda think everything happens for a reason and it sounds like your move to Cali led you to a lot of good friends. By the way, I also live in Cali so I have to say, "good choice!"

Kristin said...

I think about this at times... what if I married that guy, or gone to that college, or took that job... all choices that probably would have led to a very different life... which freaks me out because I can't believe I was smart enough to make the ones that got me this life...

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a good one! Hmmm, the road not taken? I guess if I had not fallen for the first guy I ever kissed and married him my life would be different. But then again, I wouldn't have my 4 great kids. So I guess I'm cool with the choices I've made.

Enough hard thinkin' for today. I'm off to fold laundry...ugh!

Perstephone said...

I think about this a lot- it is so easy to indulge in that thought. But the bottom line is that I'm so thankful for what I have in life and have no regrets.

Bonnie B said...

I wonder every day where I'd be if I hadn't moved here to be with my husband, and after all that wondering-- I still swear I wouldn't be as happy. I'd be wealthier that's for sure. I'd be free-- no kids. I'd be educated and go to fancy parties (it's my fantasy) and be dating a hot, depressing writer-- but I wouldn't be happy.
My husband is my polar opposite. I think he keeps me from melting and I keep him from burning up-- together we are either a tornado or a hurricane. I haven't decided.

Babaloo said...

What a great post! I've always been glad I zigged instead of sagged or zagged. It is interesting to think about, though. Congratulations on the job!

BTW I'm glad my hubby is a bartender, cuz, well that has come in handy! But if he was a chiropractor too! Ooooh, the possibilities...

Pollyanna said...

BABALOO, you are married to a BARTENDER? OHMYWORD. I'll bet you guys are ALWAYS invited to parties. :) that would be tooooooo cool. Now, don'r ruin it for me and tell me you don't drink or something...that would be tragic. Tragic I tell ya. talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

And to my other commenters above: Thanks for your comments as always! And yes, I am so thankful for my life too. I feel incredibiily blessed daily. It's just wierd to think about the road one COULD have taken. I am glad I am here though.

Babaloo said...

ha ha! you changed your profile pic too! I like it.

And yes, I partake in the occasional adult beverage (hubby's margaritas are the best). The only drawback about him being a bartender is that we always (I mean without fail) run into someone he knows. Either a customer or former co-worker. It was kind of charming at first, but now it is just annoying.

Some Random Girl said...

ahhhh, you're sweet! Thanks for mentioning me my friend. I hope you did well on your finals. That's what I like about you being all philisophical and such. Go girl!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting train of thought - I've contemplated it often, in regards to friends I've met, job opportunities I've had, meeting my husband. I've always been of the frame of mind that everything happens for a reason (optimistic? defeatist?) and, while life has not always been easy, I wouldn't change a thing.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Everytime I hear the song "What might have been"...."We can't go back again, there's no use giving in, and there's no way to know what might have been"...all the "what if's" come up. But then I remember that I try to make choices without regrets...and things work out just fine......

GREAT GREAT GREAT POST

Some Random Girl said...

Where did you get a job again??? How did the finals go? What did you get? I got a B in physiology and I am still waiting for my grades from math!

Some Random Girl said...

Where did you get a job again??? How did the finals go? What did you get? I got a B in physiology and I am still waiting for my grades from math!

Pollyanna said...

SRG- I got a job working at an insurance agency as a CServiceR. I think it's gonna be boring,we'll see....I start tomorrow! i got an "A" in Admin of justice and Food & Nutrition. Am awaiting my grade for my CDC classes and Marriage & Family. Good job on your physiology grade, I know that is one HARD class. Whew! Glad you kicked some serious booty!

Anonymous said...

Jodi-
you got me thinking! Had we never met I would be so lost, you have been a blessing from Jehovah. I feel like you saved me from myself. Although I love my life here in Alturas, I miss you and the boys everyday!!!
Candace